Monday, July 17, 2006

The creation of Ascaras



I've always loved the look and movement of insects, spiders, and crustaceans. They are so alien to us 2-legged Homo sapiens. These creatures are the true biological machines of our planet, and I guess that is what inspired me to make Ascaras. About 6-months ago I sketched this four-legged Biomechanical creature. Most of the sculptures I do are sketched out several different times. Although, sometimes I don't sketch at all, because I can already see it in my head. This particular sketch was more like a study of a multi-limbed being. I tried to keep it simple so I could elaborate as I sculpted. I wanted to make sure I had clear direction on the head, which would be underneath a helmet that split down the center; so I sketched it separately, with a little more detail after seeing some creepy pictures of Lamp Rays. Overall this sketch gave me just enough detail to work from, so I started the sculpture.

No comments: